June 5, 2010

Epilogue


When we came to port, I went straight to the airport. I was able to catch the last plane out of the northernmost town in the world. A 45-minutes flight with Six Flags Airlines got me to the town known as the Paris of the North, due to its abundance of bars and pubs. It's the largest town north of the polar circle, and the gateway to the Arctic.

I checked into my hotel and went to a bar next door, where I met a lot of friends who where there for a geo-science conference. We had a couple of beers before I went to bed around 3 am.

From my hotel room I had a nice view to the Cathedral of the Arctic Sea.

Next morning I got on a plane to the south and made it home for the weekend, good to get home to my family and my drum kit. It's almost like summer today, and we have mowed the lawn, for the first time this year.

Next week there is a Kizz concert in town. You know, that band from the 70's with face paint and crazy outfit. It was one my favorite bands when I was a kid. Later I have realized that musically, it's a less than average band, but anyway, it will be cool to see them live >:)

7 comments:

  1. You're still blowing my mind (to throw in a 70's saying) with your trips beyond my imagination. And you do it as if it's ordinary.

    Thanks for taking us along on your trip.

    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure, Helen!
    Thank you for following my little voyage at 72 degrees north. It's more fun to write if someone reads >:)

    By the way, it's 6/6 today; I wish you a merry anti-Christmas >:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, no problem, Enid. It doesn't matter what time it is; it's light all night anyway >:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! I think you deserved that beer! (and the photo of the Cathedral of the Arctic is looks lovely - cold, but lovely)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Judy. There was no beer on the ship, of course. Part of the safety rules are:
    1. Alcoholic drinks are not allowed on board.
    2. It's not allowed to lock cabin doors (to make it easy to check for people inside in an emergency situation).
    Just imagine that kind of rules on the big cruise liners. In fact, I feel more safe on seismic vessel in 30 feet waves than on a big cruise ship in calm sea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my trip was warmer. Just got back from Texas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails